Monday 18 July 2011

Setting up the nest!

I have created this blog to share with all of our loved ones miles away the fun times (and possible craziness) that are bound to occur now that Ben and I are finally in the same city! Just a way to keep up with us since it'll be hard to call each of you everyday and still get in that time together we've been patiently waiting for! I'll start with the past few days...talk about craziness. My move from Auburn was pretty smooth thanks to my amazing parents! However, when we started unloading in Chattanooga, I quickly discovered that all of my things were going to have a hard time fitting into our house. Of course I was going to need more closet space! I began rearranging Ben's things to make room for my own. This included making half of his closet my own by going through his things and giving some of it away. (Majority did not fit; we can both be a bit of a hoarder) My dad kept saying, "Poor boy. You come in here and give away his stuff. He's going to want to send you back!" Luckily, Ben decided to keep me here, and we've agreed on a pretty nice setup. With the addition of an armoire and some laps controlled by dimmers (compliments of the man of course), our nest is starting to feel very "homey"! There is still some work to do, but we are just both very glad to be starting this adventure together even if it does have to begin with some chaos!

I also want this blog to be a learning tool for me, primarily with respect to the kitchen. Most of you know that I am by no means the best cook in the world, but I do like to try new things! I want to let you in on these fun times too. If you have any advice, recipes, or anything to possibly help me out, throw it my way! Hopefully you'll find some enjoyment in hearing about my cooking adventures and whether or not Ben survived them! Jk! Tonight I'm starting off with something simple: pot roast. Ben actually requested it, and it happens to be one of my favorites! I have made pot roast before, so I was not new to this one. However, I did have to call my mom to get confirmation on the recipe! I don't think this will change for many years mom! I'm also making a fruit and yogurt concoction! I found something online very similar that's called a red, white, and blue parfait. It's just strawberries, blueberries, and bananas mixed with yogurt, almond extract, and some whipped cream on top. Nice summer treat! Don't worry, I'll be trying more complicated dishes later this week. I was too busy setting up the nest today! Tune in tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla! Love the Blog ideal. Welcome to my home town of 18 years. Chattanooga is a beautiful town with plenty to do. Glad you got a chance to meet some of the family. They are wonderful and would do anything to help you or Ben in time of need. Good Luck on the cooking experiences. I owe you a cook book which is in process of being ordered. Here's a nice refreshing summer recipe that was used recently at the Just Folks Coffeehouse in downtown Elba.
    Fluffy Pink Salad
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
    1 (12 ounce) carton whipped topping
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup chopped pecans
    Mix all ingredients together. Cover and chill until time to serve. (It was delicious!)
    Hope you are having a good week. Take Care!
    Love ya! ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete